St. George’s Episcopal Church is another beautiful and historic place to visit in Austin. In 1877, The Reverend Blackiston swept the congregation with his enthusiasm and eloquence at Easter Service to bring forth pledges including the building, retaining wall, pipe organ, bell and a twenty-dollar gold piece from every employee of a local mine. The organ was shipped around the Horn and by wagon from San Francisco. St. George’s was consecrated in 1878.
The intricate brickwork and impressive architecture are very impressive. Standing tall and surrounded by shade trees, this is a “must visit” for travelers of Highway 50. It’s also one of many buildings in Austin that are on the National Register of Historic Places.
Learn more about historical Austin at http://austinnevada.com/history.html